[Public-List] Lesson Learned & advice request

Rod Symmes harmony at aztec-net.com
Sat Oct 25 13:39:00 PDT 2008

First - a lesson learned that I will share with you all.
One of the "great" sails I had this summer involved a whole afternoon with a reef in her sail and " a bone in her teeth".
When I returned to the mooring after dark I didn't shake out the reef but just flaked the main down on top of it all and put on the cover.
What I didn't realize was that the sail had been scooping up insects all afternoon and some of them ended up trapped in the folds on top of the boom.  I guess it must have been a week or two before I got a chance to sail again and now I have a row of ugly brown stains on  the sail.
So I guess I will remember to shake the reef [and the bugs] out at the end of each sail.
Now the request -
does anyone have any suggestions of how to get rid of those stains and not harm the sail ?

Cheers,    Rod