[Public-List] Thanks George

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Oct 31 05:29:50 PDT 2008

George -

Thank you very much for putting those photos of TOUCH WOOD  and SURPRISE on
the Association website.  Last night I received a wonderful phone call from
William Selkirk, who owned TOUCH WOOD in the 1960's, was a party to the
genesis of the A30 class and whose daughter now owns their A30 #533.  He was
a personal friend of Kurt Hansen's.

Bill told me that he has a clarification to offer that he will send me in
writing, and I will share with you.

It was wonderful discussing memories of TOUCH WOOD (who still had her Danish
name ZANNE while in Bill's ownership)  I finally heard the story of why she
has doubled ribs in her starboard bow; and we both expressed our
satisfaction at her speed close reaching.  Bill told me that in one five
year stretch she won 60 races... I told him that while in my ownership she
won enough pennants to stretch from her bow, up to her masthead and most of
the way back down to her stern.  I added that it took me 20 years to do what
he did in five!

So George, thank you for putting up that wonderful site.  It put me in
contact with a man whose shadow I always sensed in TW.  What a pleasure it
was to discuss our common interest in a very good yacht.  I have often told
people that I could close my eyes and visualize any plank or rib of her,
inside or out.  Despite not having seen her for over forty years, Bill
seemed to have the same ability as I.

Bill is writing a piece about the beginnings of the A30 class and some
stories about early races, boats and their owners. I will share it with the
Great Lakes Association and with you.

Cheers - Gord Laco