[Public-List] Sails, Jib & Spi halyard

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 14 05:59:53 PDT 2008

Michael;
    It is my understanding that Kurt Hansen of Whitby Boat Works worked
with Tom Taylor Sails in Toronto to get the original sails onto Alberg
30s but never made any attempt to do it themselves. The  sailmaker  at
Taylor's was Joe Fernandes, and he built the sails for those boats Kurt
sold with sails aboard including Jerry Keddy's Opus, hull #1. There were
some buyers who bought boats without factory delivered sails.
     When Taylor's closed their business, Joe started up his own loft
and called it Triton. Sails. It seems to me that there was as much art
as theory in sails before computer designs took over and so older
sailmakers knew how a boat sailed and built sails accordingly. One would
like to think that the characters who build computer programmes for sail
design know how boats sail too, but that may be a stretch, (even in
dacron)!
    Joe has been dead for about 6 years now, but Triton still carries on
under the ownership of his wife and son. Both work in the loft every
day.  The seamstresses and many of the employees are still those
employed by Joe. Maggie Ross also worked for Taylor and she ultimately
was the Canadian sail loft for UK sails, so Taylor had several very good
sailmakers within their firm.
    I have the original sails for hull #469 and they are Ratsey and
Lapthorne's from New York City, so there are a number of other
sailmakers who have built sails for Alberg 30's. Personally, I like
Triton's as well as any I have sailed with. I do know they have changed
construction techniques to accommodate the newer fabrics, newer design
principles and building methods,  but there is some of the art still in
these sails because both Joe and Ron have  sailed on Alberg 30s.
Don #528