[Public-List] Woodstoves...

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Oct 20 09:43:53 PDT 2008

Hi there -

Well - your friends are correct in suggesting that the heat source should be
mounted as low as possible.  We do find that a thermocline develops at about
the level of the stove if the air in the boat is very still.  Ie when people
are sleeping.

We combat that by means of a small fan that clips onto one of the cabin
handrails.  We have found that running it for even a few moments will mix up
the air and nearly eliminates the problem.

We have also found that the longer the stove is burning, the less the
thermocline is an issue.  Also, we are very careful to make sure there is
air coming in.  The main reason for this is safety; the stove's maker
suggests that a 3" diameter air inlet is minimum - we exceed that
dramatically.  We have a 3" diameter inlet in the forepeak by means of the
cowl vent we all have up there.  There is a 1 1/4" dia one over the
head...and one of our wash boards is fitted with a screen; about 8"x20ish"

Even with all those 'draughts', we can warm the cabin comfortably.

Gord #426