[Public-List] Jib sheet winch

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Oct 22 06:00:18 PDT 2008

Thanks George -

Would you mind changing one thing please... Leave off that line about
backing plates.  I was responding to what I think was a silly rebuttal by
somebody and regret being so abrupt.

The fact is, since the load put on the stanchion base is nearly all in
shear; no backing plate is required to use the base as an anchor point for a
sheet foot block.   It is the loads imparted on the base by the lifeline
that require a plate.  I was irritated that someone would think that his
stanchion bases were 'good enough' for lifelines but not for anchoring a
block!

Gord