[Public-List] About those woodstoves

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:54:40 PDT 2008

George et. al

So I did some calling around, and I have had a devil of a time finding
a place that will actually sell a bag of coal anywhere in our area
(ironic, I know). The S&S place does not pick up the phone and I'm not
going to drive to Mechanicsville on the hunch that they *might* have a
bag of coal to sell me.

The good news is that I have found out the following info:

1. Anthracite coal comes in 4 sizes: rice, pea, nut, and stove
(presumably in ascending order of chunk dimension).

2. Anthracite coal costs around $5 for a 50# sack of nut size (so it's
dirt cheap).

3. I found a place in Owings Mills that sells it. And I found a few
places in VA that sell it. As it turns out, I am going hiking this
saturday down at Old Rag mountain (Shenandoah), so I am going to swing
by one of these places in VA and pick up a couple of bags for myself.
If anybody else wants some, please let me know, and I would be happy
to pick up some coal for you as well (assuming it will fit in my car).

Kind regards,

J Bergquist

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM, George Dinwiddie
<gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
> J Bergquist wrote:
>>
>> George-
>>
>> Any idea where a body could procure coal? It would seem like it should
>> not be that difficult seeing as they ship the stuff around by the
>> shipload, but I can't find a way to walk into a store and purchase a
>> bag of it.
>
> Google is your friend:
>
>        S & S Coal & Stoves
>        26079 South Sandgates Road
>        Mechanicsville, MD 20659
>        (301) 247-0274
>        Products: Stoves & Bagged Coal
>
> I would imagine that calling stove dealers (if you can find ones that sell
> coal stoves, and not just wood pellet stoves) would turn up more sources.
>
> The bag I had came from Sue's Uncle Bert, and was vintage stuff.  I'd be
> interested in getting another bag if you get around to buying some. I've
> just been using charcoal rather than go out of the way for coal.
>
>  - George
>
> --
>  When I remember bygone days                         George Dinwiddie
>  I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>  So many I loved were not yet dead,           http://www.Alberg30.org
>  So many I love were not yet born.
>               'The Middle' by Ogden Nash