[Public-List] [SPAM?] Racing and heeling

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Tue Sep 2 19:05:10 PDT 2008

Before doing anything with the main sail make sure the head sail is
correctly adjusted with the luff tension tight but no vertical creases, in
a fair sailing wind (about 10-15 knts I found if the sail is about 1in off
the spreader and when luffing up all the tell tails break evenly the sail
is well adjusted.  With this done I can sail with the rail just above
water with a ballanced helm, main luff tight outhaul tight so that draft
is less than 50% and adjust the traveler so that the mainsail luff just
begins to back wind.  If the wind is gusty first use your taveler to
depower the main until the gust subsides then re trim.  Anything above
that with sustained wind consider reefing.

good luck
John Boor
MAHSEER #380