[Public-List] planed sail purchase

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Mon Sep 8 06:04:28 PDT 2008

Elyse

I had  great results from quantum and recommend them. I do not know if they have a loft near you. Quantum really listened to me, treated me like I was very wealthy which I am not  and benefited from considerable knowledge about A 30s due to its loft in Anapolis. Their approach was not one size fits all like our other local loft. Gordon makes a very important point here.

That said, I think you need think about what you want and when you want to purchase new sails. Now is the time to purchase because most/many lofts offer discount  prices during the fall. I purchased a dacron full batten main with two reef points and a 130% cruising pentax roller furling genoa. My old sails were really blown out like yours. The main has many options for managing wind speeds and the genoa is strong enough to last a long time and stand up to a wide range of wind speeds. If racing is a prime concern, a 150 might be in order - depending  on winds in your area.

David

>>> Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> 09/08/08 7:43 AM >>>
Hi there -

I would recommend Triton Sails, even though they are in Port Credit, Ont
near Toronto.

The loft was founded by Joe Fernandes, who made the sails our boats were
fitted with all through the production years, and the tradition is carried
on by his son Ron.  The main and genny I have were made by Ron; the service
is great and the quality is top notch.

Which ever sail maker you use should be one who knows A30's and has respect
for more traditional yachts - which is quite rare these days particularly in
the large 'franchise' lofts.

Triton is at (905) 891-8166. info at tritonsails.com

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise