[Public-List] Holding tank plumbing

elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 11 06:26:29 PDT 2009

Hello Albergers,

In reference to John Riley's comment about the last drawing, I would agree that it is important to have that option of pumping the holding tank over board. But here is how I thought of that (not really true as somone else has given me the final idea on that):

Originally I wanted to install a LAVAC toilet with the LAVAC pump and 2 y-valves (you can see a link on the bottom of the last page - that owner had only great things to say about his system and since I really do believe him, this will be my next system). That system would have allowed me to pump straight overboard, straight into the tank, or from the tank over board - truly the ultimate simple solution with only 2 y-valves and one hand pump like a Whaler or Henderson MkV (apparently you can flush T-Shirts...).

But since I had an almost new Critenden Toilet (with the pump integrated in the toilet) and to save money, I decided on the plumbing as seen on the 3rd page. What I will need in addition is a second back-up bilge pump (but instead of installing it like John has suggested, I would have it not installed so I can also use it for emergencies anywhere needed - even on a neighbours boat). I would then make an adaptor so I can empty the holding tank from the regular deck pump-out fitting, if that rare ocasion arrives where I have to do this.

Hope this clarifies the thinking behind the drawing.

Happy Easter to all of you. Elyse and I will be off to LADY HERON for some major work.

Bruno & Elyse

LadyHeron #297