[Public-List] Holding Tank Drawings

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 07:27:45 PDT 2009

John,

I did a similar setup many years ago. I discharge from the toilet directly to the tank. In the outlet from the tank I used a "T" fitting. One side goes to the deck pump out and the other goes to the macerator pump for overboard discharge. I keep the seacock closed at all times and pump out at a marine facility. In rare occassions when this is not possible, I can open the seacock and turn on the macerator and discharge directly overboard. The macerator pump will empty the 14 gallon tank in 1.3 minutes. It is very simple, straight-forward and has almost no moving parts. I had used a "Y" valve in the past, but found that it leaked...while I thought it was directing ALL of the material overboard, it was acutally about 90/10 (90% overboard 10% to the tank) - I was very surprised to find the tank overflowing one day and as a result eliminated the "Y" valve. This is much better.