[Public-List] Seacocks and gate valves.

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Apr 16 06:57:05 PDT 2009

Mike,

Don Campbell mentioned in his post on the subject. "First back off the inside of hull locking nut"  Usually there is some space between the locking nut and the housing for the gate valve.  Back the nut off toward the valve and then push the valve and thru hull outwards.  This should create some space between the outside of hull and the underside of the thru hull flange to address with your favourite tool of destruction. One can then cut the inside rubber hose and remove all without having to remove the valve from the thru hull stem.

I suppose that you could also address the inner radius of the thru hull from outside the boat with a grinder.  Carefully grind away the bronze until the flange separates from the stem.  You will see a thin line where they separate. Go carefully as to not increase the size of the hole in the hull.

Michael #133