[Public-List] Seacock replacement

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Apr 27 14:24:14 PDT 2009

Roger L. Kingsland wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Since at least one is frozen I thought it prudent to replace my seacocks.  I
> like the Forespar Marelon seacocks because they don't need to be grounded (I
> read a story of an expert in boat grounding/lightning protection who got hit
> and regained consciousness just in time to get off his boat before it sank
> because all of the metal seacocks burned thru the hull) and one not need
> worry about dissimilar metals.
>
> Has anyone tried them?  Is there a downside?

I agree with Mike.  I've got one that works (stiffly) if you want it.  I
replaced it with a Groco bronze.

My seacocks aren't bonded.  I think they're MORE likely to burn through
the hull if they are.  Of course, if you get a direct hit, you're likely
to get pinhole leaks throughout the hull.  Just sail around the
lightning. ;-)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org