[Public-List] Looking at an Alberg 30, wondering what the consensus is...

Stephen Wylie swylie at uvic.ca
Mon Aug 10 07:07:39 PDT 2009

Hi there,

I am in the process of exploring my options on an Alberg 30, out in West Vancouver, BC. If all goes well and I get the boat, I'll be joining your group.

The boat I am looking at, named "Wings of a Dove", is listed on Yachtworld (Yachtworld boat ID#: YW# 39466-2059396) for CAD$24,900. It is hull number 653. I was looking it over today and took several detail pics. I have posted the pics on flickr, so no major downloading needs to be done. The pics can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36677346@N06/?saved=1

Is anyone out there willing to give feedback on the pics as to what kind of shape it appears to be in? I am not looking for a free survey, I am just wondering if the wear and tear shown in my pictures is to be expected on a vintage '81 boat (I know, still young by Alberg 30 standards) or is there something to be concerned about. If the consensus is that there is nothing too scary, I'll book the surveyor.

Of particular concern is the cracking around the base of the mast, the funny repair job under the stbd galley berth and the leak behind where the radio is mounted. I am not expecting to have to spend no money for maintenance/repairs, but I want to know ahead of time if I am getting in over my head.

Thanks for forwarding this to anyone that might be interested in giving me their two bits.

Sincerely,

Stephen Wylie