[Public-List] Rudder Romoval Problems

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 3 16:52:14 PST 2009

The rudder on hull on #231 is proving to be difficult to remove.  I have cut off the old pintles/gudgeons and removed the shoe.  I worked the rudder about 6 inches down the rudder post tube where it has become stuck.  I'm concerned that working the rudder from side to side will weaken it.  I attempted to put the rudder back to its original position but it does not want to move easily.

Has anyone had an issue when removing the rudder before (this is a pre-stuffing box boat).  I read that it is possible to separate the top section of the rudder post presumably by removing the nuts buried on the trailing edege of the rudder.  However, in the manual it appears there are bronze straps secured to the rudder post internally which would preclude the separation of the rudder post.  With the rudder post separated things would be much easier.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Mick