[Public-List] Rudder Bushing Question

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Mon Dec 14 13:25:14 PST 2009

Chris,
I did a repair about ten years ago to eliminate some slop in the rudder of
Quest.   Based on the information at the Alberg site,  I assumed the pin
had been worn so I purchased the materials to tap and replace the existing
rudder pin.  Upon removal of the shoe however,  it became apparent that
the pin was in good shape but the hole in the shoe where the pin rests had
been worn into a slight oval pattern.  Not very large,  but enough the
create noticeable movement in the rudder.   I took the shoe to a small
local machine shop.  Thirty minutes and $30.00 later he had machined a
perfect thin walled bronze bushing,  carefully drilled the shoe and
pressed the new fitting in place.  Problem solved.   Ten years later it is
still has no apparent play.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest #433
 Mobjack Bay, VA.