[Public-List] Sliding Hatch Leaks, A Lot...

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Dec 7 11:39:55 PST 2009

Hi Greg -

If the leak is in your companionway scuttle... you are lucky because
that is easy to fix.

Clean out the seams in the planks that your hatch is made of.  Once
you are sure there is no dirt or loose material in the seams run a
line of masking tape along the seam as close to the lips of the seam
as possible... I know it may be only paper thin.   Get some black or
brown compound like SikaFlex, and run a bead of it over the gap
between the lines of tape and into the seam.  Take your index finger,
and wearing a glove (or my preferred but NOT recommended method, index
finger dipped in warm soapy water) and run it along the seam pressing
the compound into the seam.  Rip off the tape and presto, you will
have a precisely paid seam that will not leak for quite some time.

An alternative might be to take the whole scuttle apart, clean the
parts then re-glue them...

Gord #426 Surprise