[Public-List] Removal of rudder

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 08:55:13 PST 2009

Mick,

Can you move the rudder at all? I think part of your problem of getting the rudder back up into the tube is the weight of the rudder. Position a jack at the same angle as the rudder stock, pad the bottom of the blade and use the jack to just support the weight of the rudder for you while you are moving carefully back and forth. Make sure the jack is contacting the bottom of the lower rudder stock piece. This piece is about 8" long and is attached similar as the upper stock with two machine screws. These two screws travel to the lower trailing edge of the blade and are faired with two small triangular sections of filler.
While the rudder provides you with much leverage to manuver it self back into the tube.....it is a heavy and unwieldy thing. A jack will allow you to achieve and maintain a more direct alignment with the tube bore as you are raising it back in position.  You can also check from above in the cockpit to determine if the upper stock is aligned in the tube bore.

I pray that you didn't leave the key in place and while lowering the key came out of it's slot and wedged between the stock and the tube. More on that later. Keep us posted. My thought is that somewhere near the waterline on the rudder stock there was marine growth and debris buildup that has now wedged in place and caused the rudder to jam. Work back and fourth slowly a little at a time flushing with hot water if possible........Gosh 10 below C? That would be about 21 F when the water freezes up that will cause you even more grief.

Michael #133----- Original Message -----