[Public-List] Standpipe exhaust and dripless bearings

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 17 12:46:21 PST 2009

John

I am assuming you are using a PSS shaft seal.  I have one on Isa Lei and am totally satisfied with it.  Mine is an older version without the vent, so I have to "burp" it from time to time.  The current production supposedly does not require "burping".  Below I took the liberty of copying from the PSS installation instructions concerning the proper venting.

15A. Low speed boats:(Under 12 knots of boat speed under power).
Note:Sailboats or displacement powerboats with a powering speed below 12 knots can use either method A or B.
Using a 3/8 " ((8 or 9 mm)ID "underwater rated " hose ((not provided with the PSS), connect the hose to the hose barb fitting installed on the carbon and secure the hose with two (2)hose clamps.Run the hose to a point in the boat at least two (2)feet above the waterline,making sure that the hose does not apply any load on the carbon part of the seal.Keep the hose as close as possible to the centerline of the vessel so the top of the vent hose is never below the waterline,even if the boat heels.Secure the hose in place with the necessary fittings that insure it will not pull free and drop.This hose is now a venting hose that will help ensure that no air is trapped in the seal.

WARNINGS: Do not run a loop at the top end of the vent hose as it could start a siphon action in some extreme conditions.Also,make sure the vent hose is properly secured from falling below the waterline.If the vent hose were to fall down below the waterline, water would come in the boat.Also,do not plug or block the end of the vent hose,as this would prevent the line from venting.

http://www.shaftseal.com/about/installation_instructions

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan - 40th United States President (1911 - 2004)