[Public-List] Help with Rudder Removal

Chris Martin notcmartin at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 07:09:08 PST 2009

Hello All

Hopefully this isnt a double post, I *think* my first was bounced due to size.

I removed the rudder shoe, the tiller head fitting and the strap at the keel. I was able to get the rudder down ~5.5" but it's now pretty stuck in the rudder tube. Also, the prop shaft is in the way, although I can wiggle the rudder to the side and only make slight contact with the prop shaft.

I did not see a key in the rudder post, it was attached with a bolt. Does this make sense?
There is/was a good bit of junk in the post, which I think is jamming up the works.
We used a cote hanger to try dislodge the bits. Then I tried vingear, and a slury of dish soap and water. Only a few drips of liquid found there way to the bottom of the tube.

What's next? The boat is ~3hrs away so I would like to have a game plan before making the trek again. I was reading up on more aggressive chemicals to help break up the junk, but I wonder if this is the issue. I keep thinking about a key in the tiller head, does anyone else have a boat without a key?

What I left:

http://muvvachicken.com/images/alberg30/12_28_09/DSCN1514_sm.jpg

Thanks for any ideas

Chris