[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg..........................rules interpretation or determination???

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:25:10 PST 2009

I have not and will not make a value judgment about who is more savvy.
I am a fan of both racing and cruising. I know many cruisers who are
excellent sailors, and likewise many racers who are such. I would love
to see more cross-pollination among racing and cruising. Anybody who
has ever met me will know this.

Several have pointed out that many boats currently racing have or were
originally supplied with internal halyards. As I understand it, this
makes it allowed under the class rules. I have sailed on some of these
boats.

What I don't have time for is listening to people who don't (or at
least have not recently...) race their boats then claim that something
is or is not allowed by the class rules in a 2-line e-mail. It is not
helpful to our class association to have these kinds of acrimonious
discussions. On that point I am certainly agreed.

I am very busy and do not have time to read and write a ton of e-mail
on this subject. There are many people (including several ACTIVE
racers) who want to upgrade using this masthead fitting that Stephen
has nicely proposed and designed. Part of that upgrade may, for some
people, include leading their halyards internal to the mast, although
as the fitting is designed, I do not see it requiring internal
halyards as such. I have asked the Rules Committee to look into the
issue and make a ruling on it. We will see what they come back with.
In the meantime, let's quick bickering about it.

Personally, I do not believe that changing the masthead or using
internal halyards conveys any material advantage to the performance of
the boat, and I also do not believe that it is a material increase in
the cost. Therefore, I believe it should be allowed. Maybe the rules
committee will agree, maybe not. We will see.

Kind regards,

J Bergquist