[Public-List] PHRF

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun Feb 22 05:15:54 PST 2009

There was considerable effort in the early days of PHRF (maybe early
'80's?-when IOR, MKS, and all the other rating schemes were abandoned
for what they were-schemes for wringing maximum dollars out of yachting
consumers) to keep the Alberg rating the same for every boat. It didn't
hold over the years as different boats (i.e. different skill levels of
the crew, as far as I am concerned) caused changes in individual fleets
around the country. I believe the mid Bay fleet (Annapolis) has the
lowest rating; I like to think because years of sailing one design honed
  the average Alberger's sailing skill above overall keel boat skill
levels, I think 219 is the Bay number.

So, I am club racing, the closest competition is a Triton (an Alberg 27,
as it were) it has a rating of 239. It does not help that the skipper of
the Triton is an excellent sailor, but I am simply not able to beat the
rating advantage. That works out to 20 sec/mile, if my understanding is
correct. Did I still enjoy the racing? Oh yeah. Do I think one design is
the only way to race? definitely.

All of this is my way of saying the cruising one design status of the
Alberg is special. Sure allowances have to be made for age, equipment
replacement, etc. but I think it inappropriate just to rule as out of
hand certain rules on the basis of what? Inconvenience? In another
sphere (the political one) the saying is the rule of law is what allows
civilization. I submit clear and well understood  rules are what allow
Gentleman (and the female equivalent-Gentlewoman?-The term lady doesn't
cut it. There is gender equality on the race course) to behave like
Gentleman. It's just one less thing.

The really weird thing about all this is I feel more fired up to race
the Alberg than I have felt in years. Maybe it's just cabin fever.

MichaelGrosh