[Public-List] [Public-list] Bilge

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Feb 24 10:32:46 PST 2009

Hi Pete -

I have a little bit of a predjudice against the big franchise lofts unless a
particular operation has people in it who have sympathy for heavy
traditional boats and have insights into what they need.

I heard about an A30 main where the sailmaker, who did not have sympathy or
respect for older designs, assumed that the only way to go was to boost area
and talked the fellow into a main with a big roach.

Well of course the A30 is sensitive to increase in power aft of the mast -
it wrecks the steering and increases heeling to no good effect.  What the
poor guy ended up with was a bigger more powerful new main that retained for
him all the handling problems of the old blown out one. (but it was new and
crispy)

I would recommend Joe Fernades son Ron, who carries on the family business
since we lost Joe in '02.  If you write to me off list I can give you his
contact co-ordinates.

Cheers - Gord #426