[Public-List] [Public-list] Bilge (main sail shape)

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 24 10:32:47 PST 2009

Hi Gord,

I would respectfully disagree about roach, get as much as you can without
hitting the backs stay (too hard; )

Counter the weather helm issue by having the main built fairly flat with
minimal shelf

I think if I remember correctly I only have about 2 1/2 - 3 inches shelf
compared to the average new style main built with 5-7 inches of shelf

As a result Sunstone points like the dickens and the helm is less Weatherly.
When I need to depower the helm I drop the traveler and flatten the main
further with the out hall

We won a lot of races against fin keelers pointing virtually as well as
they.

Sunstone walks and rocks to weather and it is a great sail

Also, we have as much main foot as legal.

Roach is good, shelf is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Respectfully yours

JB