[Public-List] [Public-list] Bilge (main sail shape)

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 24 10:53:13 PST 2009

Hi Gord

When my first main was built in 95 I was woefully unhappy with it, Joe had
used the more modern style with deep shelf - it was way over powered with
far too much shelf. If you look at an OEM Taylor Main (A Fernandez built by
the way - he used to work for Tom Taylor) you will notice it was fairly flat
and little shelf.

He took the main back and built a new one and asked me to come down a help
him loft it - what an opportunity to lean from a master

I told him the end results I wanted to see and then he redesigned the sail
to accommodate

It was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn and I helped save on the
labour costs - a great synergy

I also learned to never complain about the cost of a sail, the labour is
unbelievable - 3 days building to make a sail

He used the best cloth and did the two ply leach for the last 2 or so feet
(7.5 oz x 2 = 15oz at the leach, where most sails fail - this won't, the sun
will eventually eat it)

Joe was a wonderful person and honourable business man and his son has
inherited those traits

He used to thank me each and every time I came over because I spread the
word about him and he claimed I got him lots of new business, often from
folks we whooped on the race course

When you buy a Triton made sail you are really buying a big bag of whoop-ass
; )

I miss him dreadfully - he was a wonderful human being

His son, as I said, has inherited those traits

Only good things

John