[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Feb 19 12:47:48 PST 2009

J,

I have never had any problems with spinnaker halyard
wraps.
Although I have spent some time setting up my hardware to
prevent things like that.
I suggest a 75mm Harken block on a 360
swivel pinned to the foremost part of the masthead. If you have no holes
there, then drill. Infinity & Daybreak both have those holes.
As
for the spare halyard for the Jib, don't forget you can also use the boom
topping lift. I have in a pinch & it works fine.

Again, I
really wonder as to why fix it if it ain't broke?
Will it break?
Likely if it has been exposed to electrolysis. You can check for this to
an extent.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

J Bergquist wrote:
> CB-
>
> I can't speak for all.
>
> For me,
personally, I have a lot of problems with spinnaker halyard

wraps because of the way my spin halyard crane is arranged. Obviously,
> I can survive without a new masthead, but it would be a nice
upgrade
> and I think it would make the spinnaker halyard work
much better.
> Also, I really like the idea of having a spare jib
halyard and running
> my halyards internally. (obviously this is
also nice-to-have, not
> strictly speaking required).
>

> I think $325 is a very good price for something as nice as
stephen is
> offering. So I plan to buy one.

Others may have more acute need for a replacement masthead fitting for
> whatever reason...corrosion, fatigue, fasteners broken off, who
knows
> what other reasons people may have to want to replace that
fitting,
> but one thing is certain...not all boats live
equivalent lives, so
> just because yours is in very good
condition does not mean that

<cbcurrier at spinrx.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> Stephen & all
>> For
discussion:

>> Why would we need to

purchase a new masthead?

>> My Alberg is over 40
years old and I
>> believe has the original masthead as well as
the original goose neck. On
>> last inspection 4 years ago the
masthead looked to be in great shape. I
>> have replaced the
spreaders but am not sure about the need to spend
>> $350.
>>
>> --
>> C.B. Currier

Infinity #57
>> Daybreak
>>
>> Stephen Sousa wrote:
>>>

>> Fellow Albergers,
>>>

>>> Good Morning,
>> we have receive cost for the new Mast Head. With a quantity
>>> of 5
>> or greated cost will be $325 plus
shipping and handling.  Everyone
>>> who is interested
please respond if you would like to be part of
>> this
>>> group purchase. This way I can compile a listing and be
>> accurate.
>>>

>>> The Mast Head does
>> contain
spinnaker bail, sheeves and pin for block we
>>> use for
the
>> topping lift.
>>>

>>> Also if you
>> reside out of
the US, you will incur cost for Customs which
>>> can
>> be expensive.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Stephen