[Public-List] Cracked masthead on first generation A-30

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Wed Jan 21 08:27:54 PST 2009

Rachel

I was one of those who participated in a group purchase organized by Stephen and I am very happy with both the results and the price.

David, 432

Rachel wrote:
> Hello fellow Albergers,
>
> Today I found that I have a crack in my cast aluminum masthead.  I guess
> I can't complain too much, as this is the first thing I've found on the
> boat that the Previous Owner bludged up - for the most part he took very
> good care of the boat, and kept it in good, original condition.
>
> Anyway, what's happened is that he rigged up an extended "crane" for a
> spinnaker halyard, but using two chainplates with some wood sandwiched
> between to extend the front of the masthead forward and mount a block.
> The flaw came in because the wood was not a suitable compression block,
> and then tightening the fasteners caused one of the two "ears" at the
> top forward of the masthead to try to bend inward a shade.  Cast
> aluminum does not like to bend, so I've got a hairline crack near where
> the clevis pin for the forestay goes through, on the port-side ear.
>
> I remember talk of new mastheads being fabricated, but it was one of
> those subjects I wasn't dealing with at the time, so I don't remember
> the details.  Can anyone fill me in?  Are they available?  From whom and
> at what cost?

There are photos at
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/masthead/ and searching for
"new masthead" (with the quotes) on the google search box on the
alberg30.org site turns up some of the previous discussion on the topic.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash