[Public-List] Update on Rudder repair #235

Richard Hansen rdhansenjr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 17:22:51 PDT 2009

George, Michael, et al

Further rudder recon/explorations finds:
*Top.*  Upper rudder rod screw is ever so slightly loose...minute movement
forward an back.  Otherwise, all 4 other screws solid.  I'm inclined to
secure with fairing and perhaps fglass/fabric.  Plan to check it closely
with each subsequent haul.

*Middle*. Removed gudgeon from hull...definitely one piece, cast I think but
will remove all paint to confirm.  Was able to articulate the rudder to
remove the hull gudgeon, but it will be much more difficult if not
impossible to emplace a pin in rudder gudgeon, slip removed hull gudgeon
over, and articulate back around the hull.  Another option is to buy a new
two piece gudgeon.  Which led me to wonder why I could not simply cut or
have gudgeon cut in half?  Curious if there would be enough shape and
strength left in the 2 less-than-half circles?

*Bottom*.  Inspection of lower rudder post indicates more eliptical and
uneven wear (16mm) to support 1/2" pin and perhaps too much for 5/8".  I'm
thinking 2 options.  Ruled out a 3rd thought of thicker/longer free floating
pin (right?).
1. Select a longer pin to enable tapping back up in the hole of rudder
post.  This might allow for getting back to a 1/2 or 5/8" pin, albeit
longer.  Presume I could fill in the irregular worn gap between tap and
bottom edge of rudder post with hand grinded bushing.
2. Increase tap and pin to 11/16" (?) or 3/4. Seems I might be losing rod
strength at some point as aperture nears outer edges?

Lastly, on hull condition to accept shoe.  Is it better to refill holes (if
so, with what?) or retap larger holes for the 3/8" aft an d 1/4" side screws
(if so, 1/4 and 1/2 or to what sizes)?  Your thoughts to all?  With great
appreciation,  Richard