[Public-List] Cutlass bearing clearance, minor Gray Marine vibration normal?

rbrtschindler at netscape.net rbrtschindler at netscape.net
Tue Jul 14 00:48:51 PDT 2009

Hi Micheal,

Thought I might jump in.? If there is no play from side to side but only up and down there may be a problem with the engine alignment.
Over time the weight of the engine can settle to the point where a shim may be necessary.? If the stress on the shaft is great enough
it can actually bend?depending on temperature change(winter haul out)?causing vibration at higher rpm's.?I'd suggest staying in and running
at reduced rpm and tackling this on the off season.? My cutlass bearing has needed replacement for at least a year but still pushed me?
from Hamilton to Kingston(Lake Ontario) and back with no problems.??

Rob?