[Public-List] Pushpit, Pullpit and Stanchions

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jul 15 12:51:41 PDT 2009

Ha ! here we go...

The term 'pulpit' has nothing to do with pulling.  It does, however, have to
do with the reception they received when they first began appearing on the
bows of English ocean racing yachts.  People made jokes about being reminded
of a preacher's pulpit.

The pushpin, on the other hand, is all about pushing.  Its name is
appropriate and should be cherished.

I do love spuds (the eating ones and even the ones dropped by barges to fix
their positions) and tumblehome, like breasts, is to be admired but never
when presented to excess in either volume or inappropriate circumstance.

Yours aye - Gord #426