[Public-List] Inner Forestay Attachment Location

Dave Terrell Dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Wed Jul 22 08:02:45 PDT 2009

Michael

On a previous boat I had an inner forestay for a staysail. It was attached at the deck with a double sided padeye  on the deck. Underneath,  I ran  a cable that connected to the  the hull at the bow of the boat. While I did not consult  a naval architect on this approach, I am certain the loads were transferred to the hull with this arrangement. The only problem with this arrangement was that it complicated storage and retrieval of the anchor rode. It worked, but it was not "neat" is the literal sense of the word. The postive side is it did give me some flexibility in placement of the forstay attachment  point.  CS  Johnson has a very strong turnbuckle system that can be used to attach the inner forestay  to the deck.

I participated one of the discussions on this topic some years ago and it was suggested by one member (at least) that if the inner forestay were attached within five feet above the spreaders, running backstays would not be needed.

After hearing all the discussion, I decided that an equally good solution was to purchase a heavily built 110% head sail to be flown on the forestay. This solution has worked well for me - and an aquaintance of mine who has another alberg designed 30 footer almost identical to our boats

David.

>>> Lawrence Morris <morris.lc at verizon.net> 07/21/09 1:36 PM >>>
Michael

If you are not going to use the bulkhead, you will need to anchor the
padeye to the hull in the chain locker. The deck in this area is not
designed to support the load of the inner stay even with a very large
backing plate. the hull need to carry this load to avoid serious
deck deflection and dammage.

Larry