[Public-List] loose casting on propeller shaft at end of keel

Peter Milley milleype at kingston.net
Sun Jul 26 19:16:17 PDT 2009

Hi George,
I believe I broke the seal of the cast part or cutlass housing. If you have
some concerns please share them. Here is an account of what I did;
Most of the calking that formed the gasket between the surface of the hull
to casting had worn away leaving a space on the lower side of about 24
thousands of an inch. After removing the bolts I rotated the casting a
quarter turn clockwise, cleaned the hull surface of old calking that
remained, re-calked the surface then re-turned the casting to its original
position. Once back in position I ran additional 1/16 beads of 4200 around
the casting, and with my finger worked them into the gasket area as if I was
packing a bearing. I then cleaned off the surface of the hull of any excess
4200 and allowed this to set up. Once this set up I could no longer rotate
the casting a quarter of a turn as it had solidly gripped the hull. I next
epoxyed the two holes. After the resin had set up I drilled pilot holes and
re-tapped new threads. The bolts gripped nicely in the new threads.
Peter