[Public-List] A4 alternators

Janet Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Sun Jul 26 19:50:36 PDT 2009

Gord... I'd be more suspicious of the batteries than the alternator, but it
pays to check each, preferably at a battery or auto electric shop where
they have the test equip. Just an open voltage measurement doesn't mean
anything. A shop will have a battery tester which is just a humongous
rheostat that puts a 200-300 amp draw on the battery for a several seconds
and observes the voltage drop. Using that, along with a hygrometer, is the
most reliable battery health check.

A cute alternative if you don't have a big 500 amp carbon pile battery
tester in your tool box and don't feel like hauling the batteries to the
shop, is to hook up one or two 100 watt desk lamps to the battery via an
inverter*, and time how long it takes to run the battery down. That will
give you a good amp-hour capacity to compare with the battery's spec. A 200
watt draw on a 12V battery is 16 amps so should give 6 hours on a full
charged 100AH battery. (Do it on deep-discharge batteries, only.)

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

* It's more convenient to interpret if you put it in series with one of
those neat little Kill-A-Watt household watt-hour meters which are becoming
popular. Every home should have one.