[Public-List] A4 alternators

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 08:14:29 PDT 2009

Hi Gord,

Many folks don't know that alternators have slip rings with brushes similar to the commu tator and brushes on a generator.  As the alternator brushes wear down they tend to cock sideways in the brush box and the spring tension is overcome by the friction against the box housing so the brushes do not make proper contact with the slip rings.  This is a very simple fix and along with  bad bearings the most common cause for alternators not producing to specification.

As others have suggested have a load test done on fully charged batteries, then pull the alternator and inspect the brushes. You can always take the unit to an auto electric shop to run on a bench to check out put.  This service is normally free.

I helped a neighbor with his auto alternator and he was pleased to find that $8.00 worth of brushes did the trick.

Michael