[Public-List] Rudder repairs

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 19:25:48 PDT 2009

Richard,

I am attempting this same repair myself.  Originally I thought that my rudder was sound and just needed the fairing at varoius points replaced.  At the top rudder post I discovered that when I push the rudder gently to it's stop and then press it a bit further there was some movement between the upper post and the blade itself at the leading edge.  Since originally this is held on principally by five machine screws in my case (hull#133) I fear that the flexing, over who knows how long, has caused a weakening of the screws, via bending fatique.

I was able to detect this by placing a finger at the juncture and then gently forcing the rudder over to one side or the other.  You can actually feel the very minor movement.  Once I knew it was there I could see the movement if I looked closely.  Since this is a fairly critical part of the boat I am not going to chance it and just fair over the bolts holding the upper rudder stock to the blade.

I know that some hot shots can drive a sailboat with sail trim alone, not me and my luck would have it that the rudder would fail in close quarters with no room to practice the sail trim steering alternative,.... ;-).

My word of caution is to look again very carefully to convenience yourself that there is absolutely no movement at this attachment point.  Since you will have major work to do for the middle hinge and the shoe pivot, you might as well be certain that the upper machine screws don't need replacing as well.  To my knowledge neither pivot pin at the hinge nor the shoe was floating.  The hinge pin was fixed to the pintle and the shoe pin to the lower rudder stock.

My boat is 43 years old and has earned the attention she now needs.  Good luck

Michael #133 Lorrie Rose