[Public-List] Rudder annomalies and repair

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 15 18:42:34 PDT 2009

Richard,

I'm having a hard time picturing much of this.  If you'd like to send me
the jpegs, I could post them on the website.

Do you gudgeons look like the ones on
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/Gudgeons/ ?

As for the pin, if you're lucky, you can just install a new one made
from a bolt.  See http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderShoe/
It sounds like the old one has just corroded away.  And has worn the
rudder shoe in the process.  If a 1/2" bolt will screw into the bottom
of the rudder post, I would be tempted to put a bushing in the shoe to
bring it back to 1/2"  Otherwise I would go up in size.

As for the rudder, probably just some fairing compound will do.  It's
hard to judge without seeing it, but there should be internal rods that
are taking the brunt of the attachment.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org