[Public-List] Water from top of rudder post on older boats

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 07:37:28 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

We just launched yesterday and everything went well. Happy to be in the water.

Here are some images:
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/LaunchJune52009?feat=directlink

I did find out that the top of the rudder post will spit water when we
push the motor hard. I've read the archives, and these older boats had
no stuffing box, just a rudder tube..and this is a normal occurrence??
Is this correct??  Anyone find an easy fix for this? Just how are the
older boats constructed back there? How high does the rudder tube come
up to? Is the tube fiberglass? I plan on re-coring cockpit floor this
fall, any chance a stuffing box might be fit on the tube?

I'm thinking a cockpit floor grate might be an easy solution for now.

-jeff