[Public-List] Truecharge 40 (TC40) multi step charger - DC Case Ground question

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 18 10:09:01 PDT 2009

I've installed a Truecharge 40 (TC40) multi step charger on Sunstone (A37). I have one question, the DC Case Ground for the TC40, where should I ground it to?

I am assuming one would not connect the DC Case Ground to the AC ground. So where do I connect it ?:

* To a bronze through hull ?

* To the engine (the prop shaft and prop are not isolated from the water or engine) ?

* To the negative post on the battery ?

* To the negative Bus Bar ( the same really as connecting to the negative post ?

I don't have my through hulls connected to a bonding system or a galvanic isolator.

I do have a prop nut zinc, which does deteriorate, but not rapidly.

I do not want to end up having AC current stray currents leaking into the water at our marina. Nor do I want to create corrosion issues on my Through hulls or prop or rudder post. Our marina has an updated AC electrical system.

I am also installing a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI), on the AC outlet.

Does this change where I would run the DC Case Ground on the TC40 ?

All the wiring is well secured and the TC40 DC+'s are all 50AMP Fused as per the manual. But the manual is not clear on the case ground.

Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John Birch
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada