[Public-List] Wire reel winch - information needed

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:50:55 PDT 2009

For the time being, I use the original type of wire reel winch for my mainsail halyard.

I have read the threads this site which deal with safety concerns.

Might anyone have a manual on this winch?

In particular, I am interested in:

1) how the wire is attached to the drum (So I can remove it briefly and re-attach, for a reason I would rather not share!)

2) how to service/lube it (So I can care for it.)

3) how the clutch mechanism works (So I have some kind og mental picture)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

David Tessier

A30#319, Trois Bouleaux, Lion's Head, Georgian Bay

P.s.: Had an enjoyable short cruise last week - 16 hours with little to no wind sailing through one night up towards Lonely Island and followed by two days lively sail for the return anchoring at Club Island and Wingfield Basin on the return trip to Lion's Head.

P.p.s.: Sure made a mistake bringing along my stay sail instead of my large drifter.