[Public-List] conversion of main halyard sheave for use of rope instead of wire

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:42:43 PDT 2009

I came across the following (cached version in a Google search) which may be of interest.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Bm-0fSB4FnwJ:astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/rr/handbook1.doc+wire+%22reel+winch%22+sailboat&cd=41&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"     I replaced the wire to rope main and jib halyard with a pre-maid 7/16" StaysetX halyards from Westmarine. The cut in the mast head sheave for the jib looked like it would work fine for the new rope. The main sheave had a deep "V" cut for the wire so I filled the entire "V" with West System epoxy with a filler and let dry. Then I mounted the sheave on a very slow turning drill and used a 7/16th inch round file to make a new groove for the new main halyard.
     They have both worked great for the last year and a half and I am sure my varnish on the mast is much better for the change, My mizzen already has an all rope halyard but any required sheave modifications would have been the same as with the main... "

Cheers,

David

TROIS BOULEAUX #319