[Public-List] dripless

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Fri Jun 5 07:47:41 PDT 2009

You can pretty much pull the nut off and water flows in but as long as
you are prepared to pull the old stuffing out & push new in, you will
be fine. The hard part is laying over the motor.
--
C.B.
Currier

Bobby wrote:

> Hey George,
>
> For that dripless
packing, can one install this whilst the boat is in the
> water or
will the boat need to be hauled out?  Does it need curing time

before getting wet or will the water flowing in impede the
installation?

From: George Dinwiddie
<gdinwiddie at alberg30.org>
> Subject: Re: [Public-List]
Source of bilge water
> To: "Alberg 30 Public List -- open to
all"
> <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
> Date:
Friday, June 5, 2009, 1:46 AM

Brugeman wrote:
>> To anyone,
>>
>> What
is the drip rate for the stuffing box on the prop shaft when

running?  I think I have tightened mine to tight because it is not
>> dripping at all.  Previously, I was pumping about 2 gallons per
week
>> out of the bilge.
>
> John, with
ordinary flax packing, a drip every few seconds is normal while

the shaft is turning.  It shouldn't drip at all when not turning.

> I use a clay-like packing that allows it to not drip at
all.  See

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/ for
more
> details.
>
> - George

>   When I remember bygone days                         George
Dinwiddie
gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
       http://www.Alberg30.org
>   So many I love were not yet
born.                          also see:
Middle' by Ogden Nash     http://idiacomputing.com

> These businesses
support your Association:

> Please support