[Public-List] So Cal A-30 casting call

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jun 24 08:52:50 PDT 2009

Not officially, but since I am talking to a few hundred friends...

No, we didn't find her.  We did find things that may lead to her next time
we can go looking, but we did not find her.

We held a memorial service on the quarterdeck of our ship - same name, same
size, in the full knowledge that we were near the entombed remains of our
forebearers - what a moving experience that was.  Our XO read the Naval
Prayer that the Royal Canadian Navy adopted from the Royal Navy, and the
words of which have hardly changed from the days of Nelson.

Here it is:

O eternal Lord God, who alone spreadest out of
the heavens, and rulest the raging of the sea;
who has compassed the waters with bounds
until day and night come to an end; be pleased
to receive into thy almighty and most gracious
protection the persons of us thy servants and
the fleet in which we serve.

Preserve us from the dangers of the sea,
and from the violence of the enemy;
that we may be a safeguard unto our
most gracious sovereign lady, Queen Elizabeth
and her Dominions, and security for such as
pass on the seas upon their lawful occasion; that
the inhabitants of our commonwealth may in
peace and quietness serve thee our God; and
that we may return in safety to enjoy the
blessings of the land, with the fruits of our
labours, and with a thankful remembrance of
thy mercies to praise and glorify thy holy name;
through Jesus Christ our lord.

Now imagine a ship's company reciting that prayer, hats off at divisions
with the ship hove to, the wind ruffling our hair while the grey sea heaved
us.  All this knowing 81 people just like us met sudden death in those very
waters not so long ago.  I felt terrible that we had not found them; but we
will look again when we can.