[Public-List] Wire reel winch - information needed

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Jun 30 06:28:56 PDT 2009

The Technical Committee Report in "The Desirable & Undesirable
Characteristics of Offshore Yachts" published post the Fastnet Disaster
(1979) to wide acclaim concurs with my post pasted below, as does Gord Laco

My advice, take it off, polish it and put it over the fireplace as a
mantle piece

Had one on Sunstone, brake slipped and broke my wife's glasses when reefing.
Lucky for her, it could have been much more serious. I have heard of jaws,
wrists etc broken when the clutch fails and the winch handle free spins.

Replace it with a regular winch, much safer.

Best

John