[Public-List] Tow line around mast

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Tue Jun 30 11:36:50 PDT 2009

Considering the fact that unlike a dingy that is keel stepped - if you
loose the base the whole rig comes down ... I have decided in the past to
utilize the 2 cleats at the bow together. If you have issues with them you
will only have to fix the deck & not a whole bunch of other things.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

Mike Lehman wrote:

> Since you are dealing with a
'sheer' force on the bolts that hold the mast
> to the deck, I
think it would be safe to tow from there, but have no real

experience doing this. I would make damn sure the bolts were well
seated
> and tight.
>

> Mike Lehman
>

>><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
>

>> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:10:18
-0700

From: eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
public-list at alberg30.org
>> Subject: [Public-List] Tow line
around mast

>> Ahoy; Our Chicago sailing club has
many Rhodes 19's without motors. When
>> the wind dies, we
advocate allowing them to take a tow by taking the tow
>> line
a couple of turns around the mast (which is keel-stepped) and
>> guiding the tow line through a bow chock or bow cleat.
>>
>> With a deck-stepped Alberg mast, with (or
without?) the horizontal bolt
>> thru the base of the mast and
step, do you think it is safe to similarly
>> take the towing
strain on the mast? I am writing up rule revisions and
>> am
not certain if i want to include all of our boats or just the Rhodes
>> in the instructions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue

>> These