[Public-List] Oil Filter

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Thu Mar 5 06:40:19 PST 2009

Dave

I installed the oil filter upgrade a few years ago in #380.  The
installation was straight forward, with no problems.  As to how well it
worked I am not sure, I found oil pressure to be a little erratic but not
uncomfortable.  Location of the filter is optional since you use pressure
hose and length was not an issue.  At my last engine rebuild I removed the
filter because I did not see any improvement in performance or cleaner oil
at changes.  What I did keep is the oil return pipe that is inserted into
the block, this makes a good oil extraction port when using a vacuum
extractor.  Note that Moyer Marine also sells an external oil filter
system.  Just recently I purchased from Moyer Marine their adjustable main
jet kit but as of right now I cannot use it because of interference
between the adjustment knob and the oil exaction port, and being in the
Bahamas this is not the place to be removing an engine to install the kit.

John Boor
MAHSEER