[Public-List] chain plate spacers

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 23 17:39:36 PDT 2009

The original 'bolts' were 1/4" machine screws fully threaded, which means
they are closer to 3/16" cross sectioned due to the thread cut. They should
have been shanked bolts going in from the plate side into the bulkhead so
that the sheer part was the full bolt diameter.

1/4 was too light to begin with, 5/16 shanked bolt would be better

Our old A-30 was so badly deformed the holes had to be drilled to 3/8 and so
refitted with 3/8" shanked bolts with a backing plate - over kill yup

But never had to worry about the plates pulling out

I was an unfortunate manufacturing oversight, like the silly pop riveting of
the boom to gooseneck - machine screws should be retrofitted there too

ATB

John