[Public-List] Spacers between chainplates and knee & bulkhead on starboard side

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:09:24 PDT 2009

I am removing my chainplates in order to increase the bolt size and inspect the integrity of the knees/bulkhead attachment areas.

My preliner A30 #310 has ca. 0.75" spacers as follows:

a) starboard cap shroud chainplate not bolted directly to the aft surface of the main bulkhead, but through a spacer ca. 0.75" thick set against the bulkhead

b) starboard lower aft shroud chainplate not bolted directly to the aft surface of the starboard aft knee, but through a spacer ca. 0.75" thick set against the knee

It looks as though, for some reason, the aft surface of the starboard bulkhead and the knee were judged to be 0.75" forward of where the chainplates were to be located.

Can anyone with a preliner vessel advise whether this is "normal"?

Any comments on implications, e.g., for relative strength of these chainplates vs the other would be welcome.

David

TROIS BOULEAUX

Waterloo/Lions's Head ON