[Public-List] derivation of "Wooshkeetaan"

John Scott jcscott at cpsc.com
Mon May 18 13:07:51 PDT 2009

on my mother's side my family is Tlingit Indian (from Southeast
Alaska).  Our family clan is Killer Whale (Keet), and I've used that
name on a crab skiff we have.  So when looking for a name for our A-30
we thought we'd look again to our Tlingit heritage.  Wooshkeetaan is a
Tlingit name for Shark and also a clan name.  As to how it fits on the
transom, I'll put in a plug for Chesapeake boat letterer
extraordinaire (and Wooshkeetaan crew member), Renny Johnson, of
Claiborne, MD.  His work looks great (he told me that two sets of
double vowels is good luck, so I thought I'd really be in good shape
with three).

John
Wooshkeetaan #26