[Public-List] New Hatches

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Tue May 12 04:12:18 PDT 2009

Jim,

Jatoba looks interesting. I'd not payed much attention to that before
now.  From some online flooring store:

"The origin is from southern Mexico, throughout Central America and
the West Indies, to northern Brazil, Bolivia, and Peru. The tree may
grow to a height of 130 ft with trunk diameters of 5 to 6 ft; usually
less than 100 ft high with diameters of 2 to 4 ft. Boles are well
formed, often clear for 40 to 80 ft, and basally swollen or buttressed
in large trees. Jatoba is sometimes compared to mahogany. It is not as
porous as mahogany but harder and denser, making it a good
alternative. With its inherent beauty, rich coloring, and extreme
hardness, this species is understandably one of our most popular
exotic woods."

"Durability:
Moderately durable to fungi, dry wood borers and termites, but
non-durable when a high proportion of sapwood is present. Very
resistant to termites and extremely resistant to preservative
treatment.

Laboratory evaluations rate the wood very resistant to brown-rot and
white-rot fungi; actual field exposure trials also rate the wood as
very durable. Heartwood is also rated very resistant to dry-wood
termites; little resistance to marine borers"

I'd like to build a cockpit floor grate..this might be a good wood to use.

-Jeff