[Public-List] boat insurance

Timothy Erwin sailtim at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 14:32:56 PDT 2009

Hello Roger

Our boat, SONSY, is a 1966, hull# 200. I have had her insured with Hagerty for three years. I also have my classic 1975 Boston Whaler Montauk16 insured on the same policy. SONSY's hull value amount is $21,000 and the Whaler's value is $10,000.  My premium for the above plus 1 million liab. limit. I just payed my renewal premium, it was $840.00 for both boats.

Hagerty writes an agreed amount policy based on the survey value.. The only thing that could be possibly on the down side is that Hagerty requires a new survey every three years. I ,just last week ,had a new survey done. Three years ago she was valued at $ 26,000.00. The new value is down to $21,000.00. In those three years I spent money replacing the normal stuff but mainly I had to have put in a brand new 2ym15 Yanmar diesel which cost over $10,000.00. So, I have spent that money and the boat went down $3,000.00 in value.  Gotta be LOVE! no other way to look at it.

Back to the subject, the premium is very reasonable for insuring both boats. A quick haul at the boat yard and the survey cost have to be added in every three years.I still believe that Hagerty is the best way for my needs. I highly recommend them.

Tim Erwin, Rockport, Texas