[Public-List] RE Sail Track Fastening..... main sail trim.

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 08:21:29 PST 2009

Mick,

I just looked at my boom track mount yesterday and it is fastened with machine screws.  Did you say that yours is fastened with rivets? If it were me I would not fasten the boom track through the fore and aft side of the mast extrusion. I feel that it is unnessary to drill more holes in the mast to obtain the necessary strength for this track.  Larry is correct in that a sliding gooseneck is old school thinking, but it does achieve the same function to trim the luff of the main when you have a decent downhaul tackle attached to the lower end.  As you know a fixed gooseneck requires a Cunningham to achieve the same end.  The tackle for the downhaul and/or the Cunningham is about the same.  Big difference is the friction of hauling both the gooseneck and the main slugs down the mast or just the main slugs to trim the luff. Both arrangements can use tack hooks for slab reefing.

On my boat, #133, the original down haul and out haul are in place for the main. The down haul is three ply nylon spliced to an eye at the lower end of the gooseneck fitting and with no tackle at all one is supposed to fasten this line to a horn cleat further down on the mast.  The original out haul is even less effective; a single three ply line to an eye on the boom end fastened with a couple of half hitches.  There is no way any of these trim adjustments can be made while underway.

I suppose the thinking was that before one left the dock you checked the weather and adjusted the main luff and foot for the trip that day.  In 1966 for most folks this was perhaps just fine for the occasional daysail. Today most would find this arrangement totally inadequate, mainly because they wish to be able to make these trim adjustments while under way.  While the Alberg 30 main is not huge it would be impossible for someone other than Hercules to make these two trim adjustments underway without tackle for mechanical advantage  Every time I think about this original rigging I smile and wonder what Whitby and/or Alberg was thinking. It does function to fasten the main sail to the rig, and not much else.

Michael #133----- Original Message -----